Department of Applied Sciences
Dr. Meena Laad
Ph.D.(Physics), M.B.A ( HR & Mktg.),
Professor & Head, Department of Applied Sciences
Department of Applied Science thrives to accomplish its goal to develop world class engineers by providing a strong foundation.
With an orientation of interdisciplinary teaching of fundamental courses in Science & Engineering such as Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics, Communication skills, the department has also enriched its curriculum by introducing courses such as Critical thinking, Creative thinking, Tinker lab which are essential to develop an all-round personality with innovative and creative mind.
The department has a team of highly experienced, professionally competent and research intensive faculty, dedicated staff and research scholars. The teaching faculty of the department have received Research grants/Fellowships from reputed National organisations such as national and international funding agencies such as DST, UGC-DAE, DRDO, MHRD, Govt. of India, UKIERI etc. The main research domains of the department are Composite Materials, Condensed Matter Physics, Wastewater treatment, Mathematical modelling of fluid flow, non-linear waves, Numerical techniques, Nanotechnology, Thin film Physics, Biofluid Mechanics, Electroosmosis, Nanofluids, Heat and Mass Transfer, Singular Perturbation Boundary Value Problems, Spline Methods
The Applied Science department fosters the academically conducive environment by inviting distinguished scientists, academicians and industrialists to deliver talks and interact with the students. The department has well equipped labs and makes effective use of IT and digital technology as part of its teaching learning pedagogy.
Highlights of the department:
- Three Week long Induction programme involving Academic, Social, Cultural activities and also addressing Physical and Emotional well being of the students
- Industry Colloquy-Mentoring by Industry Experts, Guest lectures, Workshops
- Global Immersion program with renowned foreign universities
- Opportunity to acquire a diploma in business management from SIBM
- Skill development Workshops (Soft Skills, Cloud Computing)
- Mentor-Mentee system to facilitate the progress of the students
- Tinker lab to inculcate creativity and innovative bent of mind
- Multi-cultural and vibrant teaching environment
- Workshops on Ancient Knowledge System ( Vedic Maths, Yoga, Video Screening on Technology in Ancient India)
- Invited talks, lectures by distinguished International faculty
- Inclusion of courses like Creative Thinking, Critical Thinking
- Faculty actively engaged in Research in collaboration with International faculty
- Research grants received from UGC-DAE, DRDO, DST-SERB, SIU.
- Chemistry Lab
- Physics Lab
- Language Lab
- Research Laboratories
- Material Research Lab
- Nanomaterial for Energy Application Lab
- Composite Material Lab
Students project was sanctioned by Symbiosis International University in March 2020 on “Graphene Nanosheets from plastic waste for water purification”
Dr. Meena Laad - Recipient of DUO INDIA Professor Fellowship from MHRD, Government of India with Dr Girish Kale from University of Leeds, UK from Sept. 1 – 30, 2020.
MoUs and Patents:
Dr. Nilisha Itankar and Dr Dipika Jaspal have published patents Nationally and Internationally.